A Creepy Story from Australia: With thanks to Julia Hawkes Moore

A true story; its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide.

An Australian family was on holiday in the United States and as an additional excretion, went to Mexico for a week.  An avid cactus fan, the father bought one-metre high, rare and expensive cactus.  On his arrival back home, Australian Customs said it must be quarantined for 3 months.

He finally got his cactus home.  Planting it in his backyard, it grew to about two-metres in the first year.  One evening while watering his garden after a warm spring day, he gave the cactus a light spray.  He was amazed to see the plant shiver all over, he gave it another spray and it shivered again.

He was puzzled so he rang the council who put him on to the state gardens people. After a few transfers he got the state’s foremost cactus expert who asked him many questions.  How tall is it?  Has it flowered? Etc.

Finally he asked the most disturbing question. “Is your family in the house?” The man answered that they were.  The cactus expert said “Get out of the house now, get on to the front nature strip and wait for me; I will be there in 20 minutes.”

Fifteen minutes later, two fire trucks, teo police cars and an ambulance came screaming around the corner.  A fireman got out and asked “Are you the bloke with the cactus?”

“I am,” he said.  A guy jumped out of the fire truck wearing what looked like a space suit, a breathing cylinder and mask attached to what looked like a scuba backpack with a large hose attached. He headed for the backyard and turned a flame-thrower on the cactus, spraying it up and down.

After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood smoking and spitting, half the fence was burnt, and parts of the gardens were well and truly scorched.  Just then the cactus expert appeared and laid a calming hand on the bloke’s shoulder. “What the hell’s going on?” he says. “Let me show you.” says the cactus man.  He went over to the cactus and picked away a crusty bit; the cactus was almost entirely hollow, and filled with tiger-striped bird-eating tarantula spiders, each about the size of two hand spans.

The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus, and they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size.  When full size they release themselves.  The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner plate sized hairy spiders are flung from it, dispersing everywhere. They had been ready to pop.  The aftermath was that the house and the adjoining houses had to be vacated and fumigated: police tape was put up outside the whole area and no one was allowed in for two weeks.

And here’s what one of them looks like sitting on a FULL SIZE dinner plate…..   


About stevehollier

Steve Hollier is the editor of AZ Magazine, an English language lifestyle magazine based in Baku, Azerbaijan. He began his career working for a firm of stockbrokers in the City of London then went on to attend the University of Essex where he was awarded an MA in Sociology in 1984. After a career in arts and cultural development work, he became a freelance arts consultant, writer and photographer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to A Creepy Story from Australia: With thanks to Julia Hawkes Moore

  1. Hugh Paxton says:

    Brilliant post!

    HG Wells would have loved it, MR James (The Ash tree), Conan Doyle likewise, Holmes could have risen to another tale!

    At this end we all love your post. Annabel particulary. And tomorrow she can tell all her friends. They’ll go baresark.

    And there’s a message out there for any and all who smuggle wildlife. Even if you don’t know you are doing it. Don’t!

    Buy stuff locally. It is just as good!


    HUGH and the Bangkok Crew!

  2. Julia says:

    My friend will be so chuffed, seeing the email she sent me turned into a blog. Its as easy as that, Steve? I wanna play this blog game!

  3. magsx2 says:

    Hi Steve,
    A really amazing story, if true, the Customs service really need to look at the way they run their quarantines, because obviously this time it didn’t work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s